Preschool Assistant Teacher
Hillel Academy and the Tampa JCCs and Federation is excited to expand its already thriving program to include an Early Learning Center (ELC). While the school has been home to a Transitional Kindergarten and small preschool, the brand new ELC, with a commitment to its philosophy, bilingualism, and parent partnership, will become the model for Jewish preschool in the Tampa Bay region.
Highlights of the Hillel - JCC Early Learning Center include a constructivist approach to learning in a Reggio Emilia inspired environment, bilingual classes (Hebrew and English), and a variety of options for days and hours.
We are seeking fluent Hebrew speakers. Each class will have a teacher speaking only in English and another speaking only in Hebrew. There isn’t a preference for whether the individual is the lead or assistant teacher.
Our early childhood center is looking for Teacher Assistants who can help support lead teachers in the execution of innovative lesson plans and enhance the learning environment for our students. The ideal candidate for this position enjoys working with children, understands how they learn and is dedicated to creating a nurturing learning atmosphere for every student. If you have previous experience working in an early childhood center and are interested in joining our growing team, we encourage you to apply.
- Support the lead teacher in executing lesson plans and promoting the individual success of each and every student
- Collaborate with teachers and the ELC team to monitor the development of each child
- Understand the teacher’s routine when it comes to delivering a lesson plan and running the class in the event that the teacher is absent on a particular day
- Work with children in the class to promote their learning and development
- Communicate with parents and keep them informed about their child’s development and any changes to the regular day-to-day schedule
- High school diploma/GED required (Associate degree preferred)
- 2+ years’ experience as a Teacher Assistant or Paraprofessional
- Excellent communication skills
- Compassionate attitude and strong understanding of child development
- Nurturing teaching approach
- Superior organizational abilities
- Interpersonal skills
- Discreet with clear boundaries
- Good ambassador for the school and its mission
- 12-month or 10-month position
- 40-hours / week; flexible working hours (opening center and closing center); may also consider part-time
- Available evenings and weekends for events
- $25,000 for 10-months/full-time; additional pay for the summer; prorated
- Staff appointed benefits
- Sick/personal and vacation days
- Jewish holidays off
Hillel Academy is committed to a policy of non-discrimination and equal opportunity for all employees without regard to race, color, religious creed, national and ethnic origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, or physical disability.
A substitute teacher is responsible for providing general studies education services (Language Arts, Mathematics, Science, and Social Studies) or Hebrew/Judaic Studies to students in a classroom or other setting in place of the regular school teacher. He/she instructs students using the teacher’s lesson plans and manages the class in the absence of the teacher.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Essential duties of this position include the following (and other duties may be assigned as needed):
- Adhere to the curriculum and lesson plans assigned by the regular teacher.
- Follow procedures and achieve lesson goals.
- Assign and explain homework.
- Oversee students outside of the classroom including in the hallways and playground.
- Comply with all school regulations and policies at all times.
- Take attendance and document daily notes.
- Ensure classroom and work is kept clean and orderly.
- Oversee the normal classroom rhythms and activities.
- Compile a report for the teacher for when he/she returns.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience:
Bachelor's degree (B.A.) or equivalent from four-year college or university preferred. Prior successful teaching or substituting experience strongly preferred.
General knowledge of computer usage and ability to use, e-mail, internet, and Google applications.
Other Skills and Abilities:
Possesses knowledge of effective behavior management methods. Ability to meet timelines and exercise good judgment while working in a dynamic environment.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
Those interested will have a Level II background check taken place at Hillel Academy.
Please send resume/cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org